Re: Changing NIC in existing Server results in no ETH0

Keith Steensma:

> I have a sever that has been running for months with a single Realtek
> 8139 network card.  The NIC failed and I put in a 3Com 3C905B-TX card
> (that I pulled from a working test machine).  When I rebooted the
> server, the 3Com card was no configured and I ended up with no ETH0

This is a feature. ;-) Udev (the program that dynamically creates device
nodes) tries to always assign the same device name to the same physical
device. In the case of network devices it does that by remembering all
NICs' MAC addresses. Since your new NIC has a different MAC from the old
one, udev assigned another device name to it. You probably have eth1 now
and you can see it when running 'ifconfig -a'.

If you want to udev forget what it knows about NICs it has seen (and
make your new NIC eth0), just move the file
/etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules out of the way. It will be
re-created by udev upon reboot.

J.
--
I will not admit to failure even when I know I am terribly mistaken and
have offended others.