Re: Filing bug reports in Debian (was Re: Debian Stole My Name!)

<hal@thresholddigital.com> was heard to say:
> [...]
>
> "I'll go even farther: In most cases they've been outright hostile
> and I've had times where they've "told me off" to justify closing the
> bug.
>
>  I'm a geek to the core, but the stereotype of programmers or geeks
> that have no social skills seems to come from something and my
> experience, over the past 10 years or so of working with FOSS, tells
> me that filing bug reports is just a good way to invite personal
> abuse."
>
>   The "they" refers to FOSS developers, not Debian developers, but
> Debian developers are the specific FOSS developers whose behavior
> was being discussed in this thread.
>
>   Anyway, I accept your statement that I misunderstood you.
>
> > >   Please remember that we are volunteers.  I spend between 5 and
> > > 20 hours, tops, on my Debian work, depending on how much I can
> > > squeeze in around my other activities in my free time.  I have
> > > spent one hour of it this week writing this reply to you.  If I
> > > answered every user question in enough detail for the most naive
> > > user I can imagine to understand what I meant from my first
> > > reply, I would never have time to do anything else.
> >
> > But you also have to remember that you never know much about each
> > user. Today's naive user could be a developer in a few years.  Or
> > they could be someone with a large bank account that might be
> > donating soon. In the very least, as you point out, developers are
> > only human, but so are those filing the bug reports.
>
>   I don't make a habit of deliberately abusing users and I try to be
> helpful.  But whether I want to or not, I simply *don't* *have*
> *time* to educate every user about every aspect of the Debian system.
>  All I have time to do is provide the information that I think is
> relevant to their problem and hope that they'll ask for more details
> if they need them.  This doesn't work if they disappear because they
> think I'm holding back information for some perverse reason.
>

>   You said later that I said "it's not our fault and here's why".  If
> that's the case, I failed in communicating my point.  Of course it's
> my fault when I screw up.  And of course you can find a few people
> who have had negative interactions with developers, because we all
> screw up sometimes.  (and there are probably a few developers who
> really are unpleasant to deal with)  I'm not disputing whose fault it
> is, I'm saying that unless [0] we create a support department and
> have people whose full-time, paid job is to be nice and helpful to
> users, developers will occasionally make these sorts of mistakes.  I
> don't think it's fair to take a few examples of less-than-stellar
> emails from developers and hold them up as grounds for condemning the
> individuals involved, let alone the entire project.  The
> practicalities of the situation mean that we all need to be a little
> forgiving here for things to work.
>
>   That may not have been your intent, but I hope that this time I at

Okay.  Point made.  I should be clear I'm talking about ONE reply in the
example and that it could have been written at 3 am after a bad day.
I'm leaving out what I used to have to do all the time when teaching in
residential: Make it clear I'm talking about a particular behavior and
that it may or may not be at all typical of the person involved.  I've
gotten out of the habit (after leaving teaching) of making sure I
focused on the behavior.

That also touches on the reason that I do NOT want to bring up something
like that when it involves a person who is not a member of the forum
where the discussion is happening.  I was not the one who brought it up
as an example.  My original point is that I don't file bug reports with
FOSS because I've had some indifferent and even hostile replies.  As
I've said, there are reasons that I usually file bug reports under a
legal alias and why I used to be on mailing lists using the same aka.
It's a long story, but it's not that I'm up to anything shady.
Overall, I used to file bug reports, back when I first started working
with FOSS, sometime in the late 1990s, but gave up on it for the
reasons I mentioned.  That this particular one is dated 2006 tells me
it's one I filed when I had already given up, for the most part, on
filing them.

>   [0] and even if we had a paid support department, that would only
>       reduce the problem, not eliminate it.
>
> > One other point: You mention you spent an hour on this reply.  What
> > was the intent?  I made a point: The responses of some DDs
> > encourage people to stop filing bug reports.  That's the point
> > under discussion with one report as an example.  Some people said
> > it's not at all true, but others have said that in their experience
> > it is true.  That others, not many, but some, have had the same
> > problem and don't bother with bug reports anymore, is a clear
> > indication that there is something to what I'm saying.
>
>   The intent was mainly to defend Christian from the unwarranted
> attacks on his character that I thought (perhaps wrongly) were flying
> around this list.  A secondary goal was to suggest that assumptions
> of good faith are essential to keep our social interactions
> well-lubricated. Clearly I have failed miserably at both.  I hope
> that this email is a little clearer.

And I should have been clear the focus was on ONE reply, not on
Christian.  Honestly, I started my business when I couldn't even afford
to buy the tech books I needed for it.  I had to go to relatives, like
a kid with his eyes downcast, asking for money for reference books.  I
could not have started my business without FOSS.  I could have switched
over to proprietary systems several years ago if I had wanted to, but
decided I'd rather spend the money on a convertible than the thousands
it would have taken to replace all my FOSS software with stuff for
Windows.

I know what it's like to work day and night, squashing bugs and trying
to get something ready and working.  I have the utmost respect for what
FOSS developers do and what they have created, including the Debian
distro, which, unlike some, is not and never has been, sold for a
profit.

So, while I stopped filing bug reports, that does not mean I don't
admire FOSS developers and what they've done.  It's like a friend of
mine who is a great guy but if we start playing Monopoly, he gets nasty
and competes in just the worst way.  While I think a lot of him, I've
just learned NOT to interact with him when a Monopoly board is nearby.
For the same reason, due to my experience, I don't file bug reports.
One of the reasons I get so ticked on this issue is because I know it's
a point that, if people focused on it, would help everyone in the FOSS
world.

Hal