Re: New Kernel

Thanks for all the friendly help. I've added the repository to my apt sources, and when I do an apt-get upgrade it tries to upgrade to the same kernel version (2.6.18). I don't mind installing rc9, I'd just like to get my hands on a 2.6.27. I've read a bit about needing to edit my grub boot menu once I've installed a kernel image, and I have no problem doing that, I just am curious where I can get a package (.deb?) to install the 2.6.27 kernel image, and where it would be located to add to my grub boot menu.

Sven Joachim wrote:
On 2008-10-12 18:45 +0200, Matthew Lane wrote:

Hello all,

I'm new to debian, just switched over from ubuntu.  I heard news of
the new 2.6.27 kernel coming out, and has atheros driver support.  My
laptop has an atheros card I haven't gotten to work yet, and I'd like
to get the new kernel to get that card working.  My kernel is 2.6.18,
running the latest distro of debian.  I understand I can compile my
own kernel if I wish to, but I never have.  I'm also aware kernel.org
has daily image builds, but I don't really know how to install a
kernel image or compile my own as I've never done it.  Thanks for the
help!

If you don't want to build your own kernel,
http://wiki.debian.org/DebianKernel has links to a repository you can
include in your sources.list.  It seems that 2.6.27 hasn't been packaged
yet, but 2.6.27-rc9 is available and should be very close.

Sven