Re: Installing Etch With TFTP: Linux starts, I/O Stops

On Saturday 11 October 2008, Tzafrir Cohen wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 10, 2008 at 01:06:41AM -0400, Hal Vaughan wrote:
> > On Friday 10 October 2008, Tzafrir Cohen wrote:
> > > Where is the actual install media?
> >
> > That's one thing I'm not clear about.  Not one article I've found
> > on the web that has explained this has said where to put any
> > install media.  I was beginning to wonder if data was automatically
> > pulled from a URL or something since I did not see instructions on
> > placing any other install files.
>
> Indeed, the install guide is not so clear at this point. It merely
> points you to a complete tarball that includes the whole PXE network
> layout. But doesn't really tell you how to add it to an existing
> layout.

I did find out, from experience, though, that there is no need for an
installation medium.  The entire install was either in the initrd or
downloaded by the installer that was in there.  I don't have that page
in my browser at the moment so I don't remember if it was in a wiki or
not.  I think it may have been.  I did get an account on the Soekris
wiki, which had the instructions for everything to do except how to set
up the PXEBoot (and for that it linked to the page we're discussing)
and I added in the part about specifying the console as the serial
device and the baud rate in the config file.

Oh, and as an experiment, considering all the trouble I had, at one
point I just unzipped the entire netboot.tgz (or was it tar.gz?) file
in the tftpboot directory and edited the default config file and it
worked perfectly.  I think it was easier to add 2-3 lines to the config
file than to be straight on which file to delete and which link to
delete and replace.

Hal