Re: Installing Etch With TFTP: Linux starts, I/O Stops

On Friday 10 October 2008, Tzafrir Cohen wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 09, 2008 at 07:28:43PM -0400, Hal Vaughan wrote:
> > I don't think the hardware is going to be the issue here.  I'm
> > pretty sure it's a config issue.
> >
> > I have a Soekris Net5501 box I'm installing Etch on.  I'm hooked up
> > to the box with a null modem cable for the console and it's also
> > hooked up to my LAN.  I've setup a PXE boot on my DNS server using
> > tftpd-hpa. The 5501 starts up and I get data on the console (I'm
> > using either Minicom or the screen command to read/write to the
> > serial port).
>
> You should tell that to linux.

I'm not clear what you mean by that.

> > I do
> > get the boot menu from the netboot, such as it is (since pxelinux
> > seems limited to 15 columns of display) and when I get the prompt,
> > I type "install" and Linux starts to load, including the long row
> > of dots, then the screen clears and the cursor sits on the left
> > side of the screen and nothing happens from then on.
> >
> > My guess is that once Linux loads communication is stopping with
> > the serial port.  I don't think it's going at a different baud rate
> > because there's no garbage, but if it had a simple prompt, it could
> > come up so fast I miss it before the screen clears.
> >
> > Here is the file structure in /var/lib/tftpboot:
> >
> > .
> >
> > |-- boot-screens
> > |
> > |   |-- boot.txt
> > |   |-- f1.txt
> > |   |-- f10.txt
> > |   |-- f2.txt
> > |   |-- f3.txt
> > |   |-- f4.txt
> > |   |-- f5.txt
> > |   |-- f6.txt
> > |   |-- f7.txt
> > |   |-- f8.txt
> > |   |-- f9.txt
> > |
> > |   `-- splash.rle
> > |-- initrd.gz
> > |-- linux
> > |-- orig-bu
> > |
> > |   |-- debian
> > |   |   `-- etch
> > |   |       `-- i386
> > |   |
> > |   |           |-- initrd.gz
> > |   |
> > |   |           `-- linux
> > |   |-- pxelinux.0
> > |
> > |   `-- pxelinux.cfg
> > |
> > |       |-- boot.txt
> > |
> > |       `-- default
> > |-- pxelinux.0
> > |-- pxelinux.cfg
> > |   `-- default
> >
> > `-- pxelinux.cfg.serial-9600
> >     `-- default
>
> Where is the actual install media?

That's one thing I'm not clear about.  Not one article I've found on the
web that has explained this has said where to put any install media.  I
was beginning to wonder if data was automatically pulled from a URL or
something since I did not see instructions on placing any other install
files.

> > I thought it might be a baud rate issue.  The 5501 starts with
> > 19200 baud, so I altered pxelinux.cfg/default to use the same speed
> > and to specify the right console (before I added "CONSOLE 0" on one
> > line, I'd get double characters).  Here's the pxelinux.cfg file:
> >
> > SERIAL 0 19200
> > CONSOLE 0
> > DISPLAY boot-screens/boot.txt
> >
> > F1 boot-screens/f1.txt
> > F2 boot-screens/f2.txt
> > F3 boot-screens/f3.txt
> > F4 boot-screens/f4.txt
> > F5 boot-screens/f5.txt
> > F6 boot-screens/f6.txt
> > F7 boot-screens/f7.txt
> > F8 boot-screens/f8.txt
> > F9 boot-screens/f9.txt
> > F0 boot-screens/f10.txt
> >
> > DEFAULT install
> >
> > LABEL install
> > 	kernel linux
> > 	append vga=normal initrd=initrd.gz --
>
> also append: console=ttyS0,19200

I'm switching to a different system for the tftp server to make it
easier, so once I'm done, I'll find out how that works.

Thanks!

Hal