Re: Etch 4.0r4a desktop how to set resolution and refresh rate?

David Christensen wrote:
> The "Resolution" drop-down list has the resolutions I picked when
> installing.  But the "Refresh rate" drop-down list only seems to offer
> 60 Hz.  Do I need to do the math and edit an X configuration file
> somewhere?  I recall doing such years ago, but was hoping that X had
> advanced to the point that it could detect available resolutions and
> refresh rates of the video card and/or monitor and make them available
> simply (similar to Windows).

And, indeed recent versions of Xorg can do that automatically, and
generally need no manual entry of the modes in the Xorg.conf file.
However, I think this does not apply to the Xorg in etch, only in the
version in lenny.

> Again, is there current and complete documentation for Etch 4.0r4a?

There is documentation on www.debian.org . Each package generally also
has documentation files in /usr/share/doc/<package-name>, or in a few
cases the documentation is split in another package, usually with the
suffix -doc. It is hard even to define what is "complete documentation
for Etch" because Debian GNU/Linux is composed of several different
components, such as the Linux kernel, basic GNU utilities, and lots of
other software packages, coming from different sources.

--
Everybody is going somewhere!!  It's probably a garage sale or a
disaster Movie!!

Eduardo M KALINOWSKI
eduardo@kalinowski.com.br
http://move.to/hpkb