RE: Debian Installation Impossible on SATA HDD

Hi,

the distributoins you refer to are likely to have much newer kernels then Debian Etch. You should start by trying Etchnhalf which has a newer kernel http://www.uk.debian.org/News/2008/20080726 This should be available as a net install from a local Debian mirror. You could also try the Testing distribution if you have very new hardware.

In addition once you have the latest Etch you should try changing the SATA settings in the BIOS and change the mode options to see if this helps booting> installing.

It will be good if you can provide information regarding the hardware you have eg SATA controller, mainboard etc. So someone can advise if there are drivers available that can be set during the install process.

--
Lalit Dhiri
Linux the root to no GPFs