Re: Need help installing ndiswrapper

Hi Florian I also have bean trying to install "ndiswrapper" as well, and just like you it is proving to be problematic ,I even tryed doing it the windows way by downloading "ndiswrapper" on to the Debian desktop,but synaptic package manager just does not show it on the interface,    So I tryed following the instructions on this support site and this is what I got in my terminal

debian:/home/thegreatalsky# apt-get install module-assistant  ndiswrapper-utils ndiswrapper-source
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Couldn't find package ndiswrapper-utils
debian:/home/thegreatalsky# m-a prepare
bash: m-a: command not found
debian:/home/thegreatalsky# m-a update
bash: m-a: command not found
debian:/home/thegreatalsky# module-assistant auto-install ndiswrapper
bash: module-assistant: command not found
debian:/home/thegreatalsky#
                                                       "I dont know what to do"

On Tue, Oct 7, 2008 at 4:16 PM, Florian Kulzer <florian.kulzer+debian@icfo.es> wrote:
On Sun, Oct 05, 2008 at 17:54:00 -0500, Dennis Wicks wrote:
> Eduardo M KALINOWSKI wrote the following on 10/05/2008 02:33 PM:
>> Dennis Wicks wrote:
>>> I am installing ndiswrapper and can't get it to complete properly.
>>>
>>> In the INSTALL it states:
>>>
>>>      You need a recent kernel, at least 2.6.16, with header files for the
>>>      kernel. Make sure there is a link to the kernel source from the modules
>>>      directory. The command
>>>
>>>        ls /lib/modules/`uname -r`/build
>>>
>>>      should have at least 'include' directory and '.config' file.
>>>
>>> I have kernel 2.6.26 and I have installed both the kernel headers and
>>> the kernel source but I still don't have the build directory and the
>>> required directory & file.
>>>

>> You don't need the kernel source, but rather the kernel include files.
>> These are in the package linux-headers-<version> .
>>

> OK, I did that and tried a few things, none of which worked.
>
> I used aptitude to purge and install ndisgtk ndiswrapper-common
> ndiswrapper-utils-1.9 and then:
>
>   ndiswrapper -i /media/disk/drivers/network/R174291/bvmwl5.inf
>   installing bcmwl5 ...
>
>   modprobe ndiswrapper
>   FATAL: Module ndiswrapper not found.
>
> The same thing happens when I use ndisgtk to install the drivers.

It seems that you have not compiled the kernel ndiswrapper module (using
module-assistant):

http://wiki.debian.org/NdisWrapper#head-d830e05d15a64e40a56b82c293d9d9b65949b3f4

If this does not work for you then post the exact commands that you use
and the error messages that you get when trying to follow these
instructions.

(It seems that you attempted to use the generic upstream INSTALL
 instructions; this should not be necessary because module-assistant
 should do all the complicated stuff for you on Debian.)

--
Regards,            | http://users.icfo.es/Florian.Kulzer
         Florian   |