RE: Keeping more up to date than Lenny, safely?

Hi,

I think the simplest / safest thing to do is to use a live CD which has the new bits you are interested in and try them out. This way you keep your systems as is for now and can simply reboot to Debian Lenny when you need something more complete.

If Ubuntu Beta interests you try http://releases.ubuntu.com/intrepid/ you can create a live CD and try it.

Here are a few other links that might interest you:

Garnome - a build system
http://www.gnome.org/projects/garnome/

GNOME distros and versions
http://www.gnome.org/~davyd/footware.shtml