Keeping more up to date than Lenny, safely?

Hi. Im running Lenny on two computers, and have been very happy with it. Nothings ever really been broken, so i dont think that a "stable"
version is necessary for what i need.

I dont really want to go "unstable"--the name alone scares me--but at the same time i read the release notes for the new Ubuntu beta, and its
really nice. I *want* Gnome 2.24 (the auto XRandR thing is especially nice, ive always wanted multi-head but am skeered to mess with my xorg.conf). I _want_ the new version of Network Manager. Etcetera.

Is there any way to get this, but without the risk of the system breaking every other day? I dont want my life to be about managing the system,
but im willing to have a little inconvenience in return for more up to date features.

Thanks!

Jen