How dose a package create a database?

I am packaging an application that needs to create a database. By default it uses mysql. What is the debian way of letting a package create a database and database user? Would I use "/etc/mysql/debian.cnf"?

I may have missed it in the documentation. I have been reading various tutorials, the _New Maintainers' Guide_ and the _Developer's Reference_ but not cover to cover yet. Could someone please recommend the appropriate reference?

Thankyou,

- Adam W.