Re: SOLVED: DMA is turned off on my HDD

Andrei Popescu wrote:
amd74xx module seems to be included in my initrd:

[...]

lib/modules/2.6.25-2-686/kernel/drivers/ide/ide-generic.ko

And so is ide-generic. You could try to rebuild the initrd without it, BUT:

1. I don't know how to do it
2. You might end up with an unbootable system

For 1. it might be enough to just rebuild the initrd with the blacklisted module. Otherwise you will have to unpack it, remove the module and repack it. You should be able to find instructions on the net for this procedure.

To avoid 2. it would be best to keep the current initrds and create a backup stanza in grub to use it.

Regards,
Andrei

Great thanks to Ron Johnson, Pavlos Parissis, Bob Cox, Florian Kulzer, Chris Bannister & Andrei Popescu.

I have read some docs in the inet. I have understood what is initrd, how to use initramfs-tools debian package (in particular, update-initramfs command and "/etc/initramfs-tools/modules" file). I have being intended to add "blacklist ide-generic" string to "/etc/initramfs-tools/modules" file & to run "initramfs-tools -k $(uname -r) -u" command but when I opened this file I was shocked. That is I have seen:

# Added by Debian Installer
ide-generic

I decided simply delete this string from "modules" file (and update initrd then). And it has solved the problem! While rebooting I haven't being seen warning message from fsck (about turned off dma mode). And after reboot I was convinced that DMA is on:

leva:/home/anthony/admin# hdparm /dev/hda

/dev/hda:
 multcount     =  0 (off)
 IO_support    =  1 (32-bit)
 unmaskirq     =  1 (on)
 using_dma     =  1 (on)
 keepsettings  =  0 (off)
 readonly      =  0 (off)
 readahead     = 256 (on)
 geometry      = 16383/255/63, sectors = 234441648, start = 0

Moreover my system became much faster and Debian boot time (from Grub to X11) (which I can see in the new 2.6.25 kernel) has reduced from 90 seconds to 30 seconds!

Now I suppose that 2nd Florian's solution (booting with "blacklist=ide_generic" appended to the kernel command line) hasn't helped me because ill-started module was "ide-generic" (nor "ide_generic" (minus instead of underscope)). If I make mistakes please correct me.

Nevertheless, I don't understand why Debian Installer add this ill-started module to "/etc/initramfs-tools/modules" file. Seems the bug to be Debian-specific. For information: I was install Lenny from netinst 7.3MB mini.iso (Lenny, i386, built before 2008-07-02) (downloaded from ftp://ftp.mgts.by/pub/debian-cd/ mirror). I use "ftp.mgts.by/debian/" Debian mirror.

Now I'm intended to update initrd for all my kernels ;).