Re: Sometimes only 1 desktop and no window border in KDE

On 07/29/2008 05:41 AM, Anton Liaukevich wrote:
Thank you. Actually problem is in kwin. When KDE works good "pgrep kwin" outputs process IDs of loaded kwins, otherwise 'pgrep kwin' outputs nothing. After I run "kwin &" command KDE begins to work good (4 destops and border of the windows appears).

Nevertheless, I want to correct this bug on my machine so that kwin never dye. Prompt me, please, how to do this.

Must I report this bug? Where?

Enable corefiles by setting the appropriate "ulimit" before entering KDE; read "man ulimit"; when you enter KDE, perform a "killall kwin" and then do "kwin &" from within an X-terminal. That should allow messages from kwin to be displayed on the terminal.

When kwin crashes, it might display a stacktrace on the terminal, and you can mail both the stacktrace and corefile to the maintainers. The authors and maintainers for kwin can be found from "apt-get show kwin" and the file /usr/share/doc/kwin/copyright.

Good luck.

PS.
It would be better to post the corefile on your web-site and e-mail a link to it to the maintainers/developers since corefiles can be big.