Re: no cd/dvd devices detected after kernel change

> > Using 2.6.24-1-686, my two IDE-connected cd/dvd drives are detected
> > as /dev/sr0 and /dev/sr1, symlinked to cdrom0 and cdrom1, and work
> > perfectly. When I boot 2.6.25-2-686-bigmem, no entries for these
> > devices appear in /dev.

<snip dmesg and lsmod output>

> I'm not sure this is relevant but when I modinfo on ide_cd_mod it
> shows :
>
> filename:       /lib/modules/2.6.25-2-686/kernel/drivers/ide/ide-cd_mod.ko
> license:        GPL
> alias:          ide-cd
> alias:          ide:*m-cdrom*
> depends:        ide-core,cdrom
> vermagic:       2.6.25-2-686 SMP mod_unload 686
> parm:           ignore:charp
>
> Note the description : *ATAPI* CD-ROM Driver. In the dmesg of your
> bigmem kernel your drivers seems to be recognize as SATA, not ATAPI.
>
> There's nothing about GSA-H55L in your dmesg ? Because on your normal
> kernel there is the name of the drives, not in the bigmem kernel. Is
> the lspci output the same for both kernels ?
>
> Thomas Preud'homme

Thanks for your reply. GSA-H55L doesn't appear in dmesg for the bigmem kernel, nor do any
references to DVD drives. Both appear when booting 2.6.4-1-686.

Comparing outputs of lspci for the two kernels, there is a difference
for the following device:
03:00.0 IDE interface [0101]: Marvell Technology Group Ltd. 8
Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Device [1043:82a2]

In the standard issue kernel, lspci reports:
Kernel driver in use: pata_marvell
Kernel modules: pata_marvell

But the bigmem kernel:
Kernel driver in use: ahci
Kernel modules: ahci, pata_marvell

Might this be the issue? I tried adding ahci to /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist and rebooting the bigmem kernel, but the dvd devices are still not detected.

--
Joe Hickey