Re: SOLVED: DMA is turned off on my HDD

On Tue, Jul 29, 2008 at 21:57:56 +0300, Anton Liaukevich wrote:
> Andrei Popescu wrote:
>>> amd74xx module seems to be included in my initrd:
>>
>> [...]
>>
>>> lib/modules/2.6.25-2-686/kernel/drivers/ide/ide-generic.ko
>>
>> And so is ide-generic. You could try to rebuild the initrd without it,
>> BUT:

[...]

> I have read some docs in the inet. I have understood what is initrd, how
> to use initramfs-tools debian package (in particular, update-initramfs
> command and "/etc/initramfs-tools/modules" file). I have being intended
> to add "blacklist ide-generic" string to "/etc/initramfs-tools/modules"
> file & to run "initramfs-tools -k $(uname -r) -u" command but when I
> opened this file I was shocked. That is I have seen:
>
> # Added by Debian Installer
> ide-generic
>
> I decided simply delete this string from "modules" file (and update
> initrd then). And it has solved the problem!

I am glad to hear that you have DMA working now.

[...]

> Now I suppose that 2nd Florian's solution (booting with
> "blacklist=ide_generic" appended to the kernel command line) hasn't
> helped me because ill-started module was "ide-generic" (nor
> "ide_generic" (minus instead of underscope)). If I make mistakes please
> correct me.

I think that "-" and underscore are equivalent when it comes to module
names: "modinfo ide-generic" works the same as "modinfo ide_generic".
The module file itself has "-" in its name, i.e. "ide-generic.ko".

In any case, I think that appending "blacklist=..." will only influence
what is loaded in the initrd stage. AFAIK, modules that are mentioned in
/etc/modules will be loaded after the root FS has been mounted
irrespective of the earlier blacklist directives.

> Nevertheless, I don't understand why Debian Installer add this
> ill-started module to "/etc/initramfs-tools/modules" file. Seems the bug
> to be Debian-specific.
> For information: I was install Lenny from netinst 7.3MB mini.iso (Lenny,
> i386, built before 2008-07-02) (downloaded from
> ftp://ftp.mgts.by/pub/debian-cd/ mirror). I use "ftp.mgts.by/debian/"
> Debian mirror.

If the information on the Debian driver check page is correct, i.e. if
you really need kernel 2.6.25 for the amd74xx module to work with your
controller, then it may be reasonable to add ide_generic to /etc/modules
to reduce the risk of the system not booting at all. (The installer has
kernel 2.6.24.) However that may be, please send an installation report
to the Debian installer team, describing your problems.

> Now I'm intended to update initrd for all my kernels ;).

Watch out, the 2.6.24 kernel might need ide_generic to use the
controller at all.

          Florian   |