Re: [OT] Setting up getmail to retrieve mails from gmail [Was: Re: [OT] GMail troubles [Was: Re: du-guidelines - point 7]]

On Mon,28.Jul.08, 20:22:36, Arvind Marathe wrote:

> > > No.
> >
> > Well, this explains it all :) gmail hasn't seen the mail before so it
> > lets you have it.
> >
> > Beware, if you use gmail also for sending you will definitely not
> > receive your own postings. I choose the other way, I use gmail for
> > sending and receive via my ISP's pop. This way I can use the gmail
> > address to post, as my ISP won't allow a different 'From:'.
>
> I think i understand what you are saying. Just for curiosity, would
> there be any advantage for me in having gmail for sending mail? I use
> a desktop, not a laptop, which will always be sitting at my workplace.
> I have configured exim right now to use my departments mail server as
> smarthost for outgoing mail. That works both for my gmail and my
> workplace mail. I don't know whether one can configure separate
> outgoing hosts for different profiles in mutt, and as i said above,
> whether there would be any advantage in doing that, in my case.

I was somewhat forced to use gmail for smtp because my ISP doesn't allow
sending mails with a 'From:' address not on their servers (and I don't
want to use that address).

For receiving I switched to my ISP's server because it was faster than
gmail.

Regards,
Andrei
(Albert Einstein)