Re: [OT] Setting up getmail to retrieve mails from gmail [Was: Re: [OT] GMail troubles [Was: Re: du-guidelines - point 7]]

On Mon, Jul 28, 2008 at 05:01:19PM +0300, Andrei Popescu wrote:

> > > Do you use smtp.gmail.com for sending?
> >
> > No.
>
> Well, this explains it all :) gmail hasn't seen the mail before so it
> lets you have it.
>
> Beware, if you use gmail also for sending you will definitely not
> receive your own postings. I choose the other way, I use gmail for
> sending and receive via my ISP's pop. This way I can use the gmail
> address to post, as my ISP won't allow a different 'From:'.

I think i understand what you are saying. Just for curiosity, would
there be any advantage for me in having gmail for sending mail? I use
a desktop, not a laptop, which will always be sitting at my workplace.
I have configured exim right now to use my departments mail server as
smarthost for outgoing mail. That works both for my gmail and my
workplace mail. I don't know whether one can configure separate
outgoing hosts for different profiles in mutt, and as i said above,
whether there would be any advantage in doing that, in my case.

> I think (haven't tested) it might be possible to trick gmail by deleting
> all trace of the sent message before it returns via the list. Whether
> this is feasible or even possible (they might have a database with
> mail-ids) I don't know.

In my case, perhaps the current situation is desirable. I get my own
mail as part of the mailing list thread (ofcourse that happens even
when i send through the web interface, only when i send through mutt,
it saves no copy in gmail's sent-mail), and the mail also gets through
getmail into my local machine.

Arvind