Re: How to fix resolv.conf?

"Damon L. Chesser" <damon@damtek.com> writes:

> Rodolfo,
>
> I don't understand your issue.  Are you using dhcp, you must be, and as
> a result, your resolve.conf changes with input from the dhcp server.
> Use static IP in /etc/network/interfaces, edit resolv.conf, you are
> done.
>
> Here is a copy of my files:
>
>  cat /etc/resolv.conf
> domain damtek.org
> search damtek.org
> nameserver 68.87.68.162
> nameserver 68.87.74.162
> nameserver 192.168.200.1
>
>  cat /etc/network/interfaces
> # This file describes the network interfaces available on your system
> # and how to activate them. For more information, see interfaces(5).
>
> # The loopback network interface
> auto lo
> iface lo inet loopback
>
> # The primary network interface
> auto eth0
> iface eth0 inet static
> #	address 192.168.200.15
> #	netmask 255.255.255.0
> #	network 192.168.200.0
> #	broadcast 192.168.200.255
> #	gateway 192.168.200.1
> 	# dns-* options are implemented by the resolvconf package, if installed
> 	dns-nameservers 192.168.200.1
> 	dns-search damtek.org
> 	address 192.168.200.15
> 	netmask 255.255.255.0
> 	gateway 192.168.200.1
>

> iface eth1 inet static
> address 192.168.200.16
> netmask 255.255.255.0
> gateway 192.168.200.1
>

> My dns servers do not now change as a result.  If you use dhcp (and have
> to use it) then in my case the name servers are given to me by my
> router/dns server which gets it from the ISP.  I do not have resolveconf
> package installed.  Does this help?

Thanks.  My `/etc/network/interface' is very poor:

# The loopback network interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

.  Now, suppose I want the following ppp connection log output:

local  IP address 151.82.24.152
remote IP address 10.6.6.6
primary   DNS address 193.70.152.25
secondary DNS address 193.70.192.25

.  In /etc/resolv.conf I suppose I have to put the lines:

nameserver 193.70.152.25
nameserver 193.70.192.25

.  How do you suggest I should edit /etc/network/interface?

Thanks
Rodolfo