Re: Xorg not working: empty backtrace

On Friday 18 July 2008 06:54:09 pm Florian Kulzer wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 18, 2008 at 23:20:14 +0200, Mathieu Malaterre wrote:
> > Hi there,
> >
> >   Giving up on this one... I cannot understand what is going wrong
> > with my xorg setup. If I reboot my computer I am loosing X. Looking at
> > the log I cannot see anything wrong:
> >
> > http://gdcm.sourceforge.net/thingies/Xorg.0.log
> >
> >   There is no 'EE' entry
>
> It cannot save a backtrace, does the computer lock up?
>
> Comparing the end of your Xorg log to mine, it seems that your system is
> crashing the moment it tries to do drmOpenDevice. Maybe the problem is
> related to the kernel part of the direct rendering infrastructure (DRI).
> Looking at your log with that in mind:
>
> (II) "dri" will be loaded by default.
>
> [...]
>
> (II) LoadModule: "dri"
> (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions//libdri.so
> (II) Module dri: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
> 	compiled for 1.4.2, module version = 1.0.0
> 	ABI class: X.Org Server Extension, version 0.3
> (II) Loading extension XFree86-DRI
> (II) LoadModule: "nvidia"
> (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers//nvidia_drv.so
> (II) Module nvidia: vendor="NVIDIA Corporation"
> 	compiled for 4.0.2, module version = 1.0.0
> 	Module class: X.Org Video Driver
>
> IIRC, the Xorg DRI module has to be disabled if you use the nvidia
> driver. Try to add
>
> Disable  "dri"
>
> to the modules section of your xorg.conf and make sure that there are no
> load directives for this module anywhere else in the configuration file.
>
> --
> Regards,            | http://users.icfo.es/Florian.Kulzer
>           Florian   |

So,

You are running Nvidia.  What why did you install it, nvidia installer or the
debian way?

If you did BOTH you will/might have problems.

assuming you only did one way:

apt-get install nvidia-xconfig
as root do nvidia-xconfig
then do startx
if you startx, you might want to do apt-get install nvidia-settings as run
that as root.

nvidia-xconfig will fix your xorg to comply with nvidia drivers (with out
respect to the way you installed nvidia.

I hope this helps and I am just going off of  Florian's insight.

--
Damon L. Chesser
damon@damtek.com