Re: Xorg not working: empty backtrace

On Sat, Jul 19, 2008 at 1:31 AM, Damon L. Chesser <damon@damtek.com> wrote:
> On Friday 18 July 2008 06:54:09 pm Florian Kulzer wrote:
>> On Fri, Jul 18, 2008 at 23:20:14 +0200, Mathieu Malaterre wrote:
>> > Hi there,
>> >
>> >   Giving up on this one... I cannot understand what is going wrong
>> > with my xorg setup. If I reboot my computer I am loosing X. Looking at
>> > the log I cannot see anything wrong:
>> >
>> > http://gdcm.sourceforge.net/thingies/Xorg.0.log
>> >
>> >   There is no 'EE' entry
>>
>> It cannot save a backtrace, does the computer lock up?
>>
>> Comparing the end of your Xorg log to mine, it seems that your system is
>> crashing the moment it tries to do drmOpenDevice. Maybe the problem is
>> related to the kernel part of the direct rendering infrastructure (DRI).
>> Looking at your log with that in mind:
>>
>> (II) "dri" will be loaded by default.
>>
>> [...]
>>
>> (II) LoadModule: "dri"
>> (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions//libdri.so
>> (II) Module dri: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
>>       compiled for 1.4.2, module version = 1.0.0
>>       ABI class: X.Org Server Extension, version 0.3
>> (II) Loading extension XFree86-DRI
>> (II) LoadModule: "nvidia"
>> (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers//nvidia_drv.so
>> (II) Module nvidia: vendor="NVIDIA Corporation"
>>       compiled for 4.0.2, module version = 1.0.0
>>       Module class: X.Org Video Driver
>>
>> IIRC, the Xorg DRI module has to be disabled if you use the nvidia
>> driver. Try to add
>>
>> Disable  "dri"
>>
>> to the modules section of your xorg.conf and make sure that there are no
>> load directives for this module anywhere else in the configuration file.
>>
>> --
>> Regards,            | http://users.icfo.es/Florian.Kulzer
>>           Florian   |
>
> So,
>
> You are running Nvidia.  What why did you install it, nvidia installer or the
> debian way?
>
> If you did BOTH you will/might have problems.
>
> assuming you only did one way:
>
> apt-get install nvidia-xconfig
> as root do nvidia-xconfig

# nvidia-xconfig

Using X configuration file: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf".

PARSE ERROR: Parse error on line 57 of section Module in file
/etc/X11/xorg.conf.
             "Disable" is not a valid keyword in this section.

Backed up file '/etc/X11/xorg.conf' as '/etc/X11/xorg.conf.backup'
New X configuration file written to '/etc/X11/xorg.conf'

BTW, I did follow:

http://wiki.debian.org/NvidiaGraphicsDrivers#head-da25e4acfc1b456e21717d2178b938ba4306e9cd

But when I run the m-a auto-install command I get a failure and an
empty log file:

# cat /var/cache/modass/nvidia-kernel-source.buildlog.2.6.25-2-amd64.1216468060
Build log starting, file:
/var/cache/modass/nvidia-kernel-source.buildlog.2.6.25-2-amd64.1216468060
Date: Sat, 19 Jul 2008 13:47:40 +0200

> then do startx
> if you startx, you might want to do apt-get install nvidia-settings as run
> that as root.

Sorry Florian's solution seems to be working for me, I have very
little interest and too little understanding on what is going on wrong
to spent too much time in this isue.

Thanks anyway,
--
Mathieu