Re: Baffled by a badly borked system

On Fri, 18 Jul 2008 22:54:38 +0200
Sven Joachim <svenjoac@gmx.de> wrote:

> On 2008-07-18 22:43 +0200, celejar wrote:
>
> > I'm not sure where to start.  I'm running Sid.  The system has been up
> > for several days, with numerous hibernate (suspend to disk) / resume
> > cycles.  The system is partially up to date (not totally, since I only
> > have intermittent net access).  Today, I rebooted it, and now it is
> > badly borked.  I have no idea what the root cause of the problem is,
> > and what are merely symptoms, and I don't even know if there's just
> > one problem or many.  The Debian installation currently has no net
> > access, so I'm mailing from Windows, and supplying information from
> > memory, so I may be imprecise.
> >
> > a) /dev/null apparently has the wrong permissions (I think rw-rw----).
> >  My ordinary user has no access to it, and so lots of stuff complains
> > (e.g. on initial shell login, I get an endless stream of permission
> > errors for /dev/null, and I need to hit break.)  This problem doesn't
> > exist for root, probably because root has r/w access to it.
>
> That's http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=491114.

[snipped gory details of my broken system]

> All of this might be a consequence of a), so please install a working
> version of dmsetup, rebuild your initramfs and reboot.

I wound up purging dmsetup, since I couldn't find an earlier version
that solved the problem, and -3 doesn't seem to be available for i386
yet.  This was doable, since I only need dmsetup for cryptsetup, which
I only need for one encrypted fs which I can do without for a few
days.  My system is indeed now back to normal.  [I don't use an
initramfs.]

Thanks, Sven.  You're a lifesaver!

> Regards,
>         Sven