Re: Xorg not working: empty backtrace

On Fri, Jul 18, 2008 at 23:20:14 +0200, Mathieu Malaterre wrote:
> Hi there,
>
>   Giving up on this one... I cannot understand what is going wrong
> with my xorg setup. If I reboot my computer I am loosing X. Looking at
> the log I cannot see anything wrong:
>
> http://gdcm.sourceforge.net/thingies/Xorg.0.log
>
>   There is no 'EE' entry

It cannot save a backtrace, does the computer lock up?

Comparing the end of your Xorg log to mine, it seems that your system is
crashing the moment it tries to do drmOpenDevice. Maybe the problem is
related to the kernel part of the direct rendering infrastructure (DRI).
Looking at your log with that in mind:

(II) "dri" will be loaded by default.

[...]

(II) LoadModule: "dri"
(II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions//libdri.so
(II) Module dri: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
	ABI class: X.Org Server Extension, version 0.3
(II) Loading extension XFree86-DRI
(II) LoadModule: "nvidia"
(II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers//nvidia_drv.so
(II) Module nvidia: vendor="NVIDIA Corporation"
	Module class: X.Org Video Driver

IIRC, the Xorg DRI module has to be disabled if you use the nvidia
driver. Try to add

Disable  "dri"

to the modules section of your xorg.conf and make sure that there are no
load directives for this module anywhere else in the configuration file.

          Florian   |