virtual machine choices in Debian

Hello,

Many months ago I had first installed a virtual machine, VMWare. I used it for a few months and then never touched. IIRC, it was free for students back then.

This week I looked it up again (I still have the virtual machines installed) and wanted to reinstall the new version of VMWare Desktop. I noticed that it is not free anymore but comes with a 30 day trial feature.

So, what free and preferably open source choices do we have for virtual machines in Debian? Pros and cons based on your experiences will be appreciated.

Thanks.
->HS