Re: Marvell 88E80856 switching from static to dhcp configuration all on its own

Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
On Thu, Jul 17, 2008 at 11:14:25AM -0700, Freddy Freeloader wrote:
Hi All,

I'm having a strange problem with a Marvell 88E8056 - 10/100/1000 Controller on a Biostar TA 770 A2+ motherboard. This is an Etch AMD64 install, but I have added the 2.6.25-amd64 kernel as I could not get the Marvell controller to work at all with the 2.6.18 kernel.

I have two NICs. The onboard Marvell and a 3Com 3c905b. The 3Com handles dhcp and dns requests. Both are configured for statically configured IP addresses in /etc/network/interfaces. However, the Marvell will, after some unknown amount of time--less than 12 hours--drop its static IP address and request a dhcp address from the 3Com adapter.

I'm assuming this is a bug in the sky2 module, but don't know enough about things in this area to do more than assume.

I bet it's not a driver problem but simply that you have inadvertently
started a dhclient. It picks up a lease from somewhere, but then you
restart networking which reverts the interface to a static
address. Then when the dhclient thinks the lease has expired, it goes
and gets another one.
I've seen this happen on my laptop when I've been monkeying around
with getting a connection at a new location. I'll forget that I
manually started dhclient and then some time later... maybe days, I'll
connect somewhere where I get static ip (like home) and then all of
the sudden the dhclient will wake up and go looking for a new
address... probably a killall dhclient will sort it out.

I wondered about it, but it didn't make sense in that the networking system is completely ignoring its own configuration. Plus, this behavior has survived several reboots of the system. However, I will give that a try and see if the behavior changes.