Re: Fast PDF File Viewing

On Tue, 15 Jul 2008 12:17:51 +0800 (WST)
Bret Busby <bret@busby.net> wrote:

> On Mon, 14 Jul 2008, Amit Uttamchandani wrote:
>

> > I tried searching the mailing list archives as well as google for
> > this but did not find any concrete answer.
> >
> > Here at work they have allowed me to use Linux ;) . Anyways,
> > I am using debian exclusively and try to use Free Software
> > applications wherever I can. Based on my research the fastest PDF
> > viewer out there is xpdf. Right now it is performing fast, but when
> > viewing large PDF files (generated from AUTOCAD drawings),
> > panning/scrolling through the document takes a long time.
> >
> > In comparison to a colleague's acrobat reader on windows, his
> > acrobat reader performs a lot faster.
> >

> Do you have Acrobat Reader 8.0 installed on your Linux computer?

Sorry for the lack of details...I will try to install adobe reader for
linux. I am using debian etch (stable) by the way with xpdf 3.01. So
far I do not have any problems with xpdf except for viewing large
drawings which is why I did not even think about installing acrobat for
linux.

Regarding my colleagues acrobat reader, i believe is running acrobat
reader 7.0 on his xp machine..

> If so, how does the speed compare?
>
> You have not made any reference to what version of Linux you are
> using; whether it is Debian stable or Debian experimental, and
> whether you have the latest available stable version of Acrobat
> Reader installed (version number that you have installed?), and how
> the speed of whatever version of Acrobat Reader you have installed,
> compares with your envied colleague's Acrobat Reader.

Thanks,
Amit