Re: Fast PDF File Viewing

On Tue, 15 Jul 2008 15:35:29 +0300
Arthur A <arthur.machlas@gmail.com> wrote:

> Mark Neidorff wrote:
> >> Are your machines comparable processor- and RAM-wise?
> >>
> >> (sorry for not answering your actual question)
> >>
> >> - chris
> >
> > On windows acrobat preloads part of the program on boot.  (It just
> > sits taking up ram waiting for you to use it)  That's why it
> > appears to start much more quickly.
> >

> I think the issue isn't so much with how fast the program starts up
> (I have a hard time believing even with preload it loads faster),
> rather, it's likely more to do with the caching that adobe does in
> the background of pages you haven't yet tried to view. I suspect,
> though I honestly haven't looked into it, that adobe caches pages a
> lot more while xpdf or evince or what have you simply load it upon
> request.
>
> Perhaps this is an avenue to explore further.

Yes that is exactly what is probably going on. Because with xpdf it
takes around ~2 seconds to redraw/cache when i scroll through the
document.

I tried exploring this further and it seems like it is an issue with
the cairo backend. Compiling cairo with OpenGL support looks like a
promising approach.

http://www.cairographics.org/OpenGL/

Amit