Re: Fast PDF File Viewing

Mark Neidorff wrote:
On Monday 14 July 2008 10:20 pm, Chris Burkhardt wrote:
Amit Uttamchandani wrote:
In comparison to a colleague's acrobat reader on windows, his acrobat
reader performs a lot faster.
Are your machines comparable processor- and RAM-wise?

(sorry for not answering your actual question)

- chris

On windows acrobat preloads part of the program on boot. (It just sits taking up ram waiting for you to use it) That's why it appears to start much more quickly.

I think the issue isn't so much with how fast the program starts up (I have a hard time believing even with preload it loads faster), rather, it's likely more to do with the caching that adobe does in the background of pages you haven't yet tried to view. I suspect, though I honestly haven't looked into it, that adobe caches pages a lot more while xpdf or evince or what have you simply load it upon request.

Perhaps this is an avenue to explore further.