Re: JRE which openjdk & gcj

On Mon, Jul 14, 2008 at 02:59:00PM -0400, Damon L. Chesser wrote:
> On Monday 14 July 2008 02:47:06 pm Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
> > On Sun, Jul 13, 2008 at 08:02:05AM +1000, Alex Samad wrote:
> > > Hi
> > >
> > > I have noticed that openjdk has made it into the repo's.  Wondering what
> > > people thoughts where on
> > >
> > > openjdk, gij and gcj ?
> > >

> > > Seems like we have lots of choice, and there might be a chance to see a
> > > 64B browser plugin now, but how ready are they to use in production.
> > >
> > > My understand is gcj and the classpath libraries are still a bit wanting
> >
> > I ran into a problem the other day... my current class sort of
> > requires the use of Eclipse, okay that's fine, though it's no emacs
> > ;-P.
> >
> > Anyway, in sid currently, installing eclipse pulls in gcj and uses
> > that as the default. THe problem? no Scanner... wtf? why won't my code
> > work at home when it will at school? long story short, sun-java6-jdk
> > works great.
> >
> > very very much .02

> I do not follow or understand all the development, GPL and Java.  However,
> when ever possible, I install Sun-java.  It works.  gcj does not always work.
> Why?  I don't know.  If Java is open, then when does not the open java work?
> Beats me.
My synopsis of the issue is java is more than just the compiler, its the
compiler plus the base libraries it gcj case that is classpath, class
path is aiming for 1.4 (I  think) compatibility and it is missing some
fundamental classes, but remember gcj is opensource, volunteer work. and
it is gij & gcj, one a interpreter and the other a compiler. OpenJDK is
redhat backed open source jdk/jre - it seems to have a more full class
library and they are going for jdk 5 (or 6?) compliance and have
recently passed some certification level

I haven't used openjdk and I used gcj a while back (its installed but I
default to the sun implementation) there is also the ibm version and
bea's versions