Re: My first message... more of a mad mans rant...

On Mon, Jul 14, 2008 at 02:01:11PM -0700, Paul Johnson wrote:
> I'm not sure Ubuntu mostly solved this issue so much as they made it
> pretty.  Debian does the same thing, too, you know...it's not like we're
> still using the old boot-floppies installer and debconf doesn't exist to
> answer questions for you.

    Ubuntu has mostly solved this.  Because of Debian's philosophy there are
simply some things that Debian cannot do reasonably well that Ubuntu can.
Restricted drivers being the prime example.  The fact that they have Firefox,
not "Iceweasel", installed by default is another.  Debian will not address
those because it is against the social contract.  That's fine.  Just as Ubuntu
addressing those warts without the constraints of the DSC is fine.  That's the
whole point of FOSS.  Poo-pooing either project shows a gross misunderstanding
of what it's all about.