drbd WAS working fine; but now fsck can't open /dev/drbd? ??

running debian etch; drbd v0.7; along with HA; under ext3 filesystems;

both system were running fine, and drbd work working great.
assuming there was a power outage, now when I bring up the primary
system I get (during boot):

fsck.ext3: no such file or directory while trying to open /dev/drbd0
the superblock could not be read or does not describe a correct ext2
filesystem.
fsck died with exit status 8    ....[snip]... superblock may be
corrupt.
<<

/dev/drbd0 is drbd's device to /dev/sdb1; which DOES fsck PERFECTLY.

this system isn't even coming up to runlevel 2...  going into maint.
mode....

i've tried ef2check -f and it shows filesys clean... (again on /dev/
sdb1)

/dev/drbd0 doesn't exist until drbd is loaded; but if I load drbd,
there's no way I can fsck /dev/drbd0 because "it's busy".

anyone have any idea's ??

TIA - Bob