Re: Query about OCR package(s)

On Mon, 14 Jul 2008, Bret Busby wrote:

hello.

Is an OCR package available for Debian 4.0, in .deb form, that can read from PDF files, to allow text to be extracted from PDF files?

In looking at what is available in Synaptic, I could not find such a package.

Thank you in anticipation.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

Since sending the above message, due to something that happened, where I had to cite material that was in a PDF document that was published on the Internet, I clicked on the link for the PDF document, in Iceape (which I use for accessing web pages when I want to write an email using material in the web pages, as Iceape includes the email facility, like the Netscape and Mozilla suites), and the document viewer (Adobe Reader 8.0) opened the document within the tab, and I was able to simply mark and copy and paste the text, as if it was simply text in an HTML web page, or in a word processor document.

So, Adobe Reader 8.0 provides the text extraction, or copying, that I sought, so an OCR application that imports text from PDF files, is now probably redundant (other than that it could function as a smaller, standalone, application, but this seems to be adequate).

Now, if only I could print from Adobe Reader 8.0 (I can print PDF files from Evince 0.4.0, but not from Adobe 8.0)...

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

 you'll know what the answer means."