Re: Blurry fonts in printed invoices

On Thu, 10 Jul 2008 21:06:19 +0200
Florian Kulzer <florian.kulzer+debian@icfo.es> wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 09, 2008 at 19:59:06 -0500, Mumia W.. wrote:
> > On 07/09/2008 07:52 PM, Celejar wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I've recently been having a great deal of trouble getting my browsers
> >> to save invoices as PDF's.  The fonts for the personalized part of the
> >> page are illegibly blurry, [...]
> >>

> > I haven't seen that. Could you mock-up some samples for others to test with?
>
> It might also be helpful to see what "pdffonts" reports for the

Some examples, all from PDFs that exhibit at least some bad fonts:

name                                 type              emb sub uni object ID
------------------------------------ ----------------- --- --- --- ---------
WQDACH+f-4-0                         TrueType          yes yes yes    164  0
[none]                               Type 3            yes no  yes     94  0
[none]                               Type 3            yes no  yes     24  0
[none]                               Type 3            yes no  yes     15  0
[none]                               Type 3            yes no  yes     54  0

name                                 type              emb sub uni object ID
------------------------------------ ----------------- --- --- --- ---------
WQDACH+f-3-0                         TrueType          yes yes yes    142  0
[none]                               Type 3            yes no  yes     36  0
[none]                               Type 3            yes no  yes     21  0
[none]                               Type 3            yes no  yes     47  0
RABYKY+f-4-0                         TrueType          yes yes yes    183  0
UFQSLH+f-5-0                         TrueType          yes yes yes    185  0
[none]                               Type 3            yes no  yes    193  0

name                                 type              emb sub uni object ID
------------------------------------ ----------------- --- --- --- ---------
NJCWTD+f-1-0                         TrueType          yes yes yes     10  0
RABYKY+f-0-0                         TrueType          yes yes yes      8  0
KPSHBO+f-4-0                         TrueType          yes yes yes     75  0
RDZRPI+f-5-0                         TrueType          yes yes yes     77  0
[none]                               Type 3            yes no  yes     47  0
[none]                               Type 3            yes no  yes     31  0
KPSHBO+f-6-0                         TrueType          yes yes yes     84  0
JBEEIF+f-7-0                         TrueType          yes yes yes     88  0

Unfortunately, I have no idea what any of this means :/

> problematic PDFs. In addition to that, is there a difference with the
> blurred fonts between display on screen and print? If the blurring is

The problem appears even on screen.

> visible on the screen as well, can you provide zoomed-in screenshots of
> a good and a bad part? (assuming you can find clippings that illustrate
> the problem without revealing any sensitive information)

I have posted some screenshots in another message to the list, although
I have the feeling that they may not be very useful.  If you can
suggest any improvements on them, I'll be glad to post more.

Thanks for your help.

>           Florian   |

Celejar