Re: Blurry fonts in printed invoices

On Thu, Jul 10, 2008 at 23:48:18 -0400, Celejar wrote:
> On Thu, 10 Jul 2008 21:06:19 +0200 Florian Kulzer wrote:

> > > I haven't seen that. Could you mock-up some samples for others to test with?
> >
> > It might also be helpful to see what "pdffonts" reports for the
>
> Some examples, all from PDFs that exhibit at least some bad fonts:
>
> name                                 type              emb sub uni object ID
> ------------------------------------ ----------------- --- --- --- ---------
> WQDACH+f-4-0                         TrueType          yes yes yes    164  0
> [none]                               Type 3            yes no  yes     94  0
> [none]                               Type 3            yes no  yes     24  0
> [none]                               Type 3            yes no  yes     15  0
> [none]                               Type 3            yes no  yes     54  0

[...]

> Unfortunately, I have no idea what any of this means :/

It would be good to know if you also see the nameless type 3 fonts
listed for PDFs that you generate from other web pages, e.g. the Debian
homepage.

> > problematic PDFs. In addition to that, is there a difference with the
> > blurred fonts between display on screen and print? If the blurring is
>
> The problem appears even on screen.
>
> > visible on the screen as well, can you provide zoomed-in screenshots of
> > a good and a bad part? (assuming you can find clippings that illustrate
> > the problem without revealing any sensitive information)
>
> I have posted some screenshots in another message to the list, although
> I have the feeling that they may not be very useful.  If you can
> suggest any improvements on them, I'll be glad to post more.

Your browser screenshot seems fine to me, aside from the jpeg
compression artefacts. The PDF (evince?) screenshot confuses me a bit,
because I see two distinct problems: The personalized part is typeset in
a font that is too small and has very bad hinting, and the boilerplate
text seems to exhibit an issue with the kerning (character spacing). Can
you clarify which problem we are trying to solve right now and provide a
higher-magnification zoom (at least 400%) of a relevant part?

At the moment I suspect that some bad/unusual CSS font specifications in
the invoice web page are to blame for triggering the use of the type 3
fonts in the PDF. You could try to install the iceweasel-webdeveloper
extension; this will give you an easy way to view the CSS and disable it
fully or partially.  Maybe this will be enough to make the produced PDFs
legible again. Increasing the minimum font size in the iceweasel
preferences is another quick thing to try. If that all does not help
then I would be interested in seeing the full CSS of the page, including
the "print" style (if it is defined).

          Florian   |