Re: using debootstrap to install Debian

> > > OP:
> > > You should chroot in /debian_chroot and run 'aptitude install
> > > linux-image-architecture'.
> > > If debootstrap didn't already, also install grub (or lilo if you prefer
> > > it). Edit fstab (don't forget about /proc) and exit the chroot.
> > > Then, if you have grub in the fedora system, run 'grub-install
> > > --root-directory=/debian_chroot /dev/device' and
> > > edit /debian_chroot/boot/grub/device.map if necessary.
> > > Re-enter the chroot and run update-grub.
> > >

> > > Then make the bios boot from that device, however you do it, and there
> > > you go.
> >
> > thanks, that sounds str forward - presumably the 'grub-install' will
> > write a new MBR so when I reboot the machine it looks in /debian_chroot
> > (ie I won't see the options from my [Fedora] /boot/grub/menu.lst)?
>
> That's what the --root-directory parameter does.

I'm being doubly (if not triply!) dense today: apologies!

Can I just copy (Fedora's) /etc/fstab, see below, to /debian_chroot?

[root@veri grub]# cat /etc/fstab
/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 /                       ext3    defaults
1 1
LABEL=/boot             /boot                   ext3    defaults
1 2
tmpfs                   /dev/shm                tmpfs   defaults
0 0
devpts                  /dev/pts                devpts  gid=5,mode=620
0 0
sysfs                   /sys                    sysfs   defaults
0 0
proc                    /proc                   proc    defaults
0 0
/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol01 swap                    swap    defaults
0 0

### MKB (Sept 2007): 750Gb disk
#/dev/sdb1           /WinXP             ntfs    defaults        0 2
/dev/sdb2            /data1             ext3
defaults,errors=remount-ro 0 2

### MKB (Sept 2007): nfs4 mount ratty:~michael for user mkb
ratty.phy.umist.ac.uk:/home/michael  /home/mkb/ratty  nfs hard,intr 0 0

### MKB (Apr 2008): CIFS mount CG-drives
# NB credentials file can only contain username and/or password
//cg-drives.rcs.manchester.ac.uk/mccssmb2 /mnt/CG  cifs
uid=1000,gid=1000,file_mode=0600,dir_mode=0700,credentials=/home/mkb/cg_cred.txt 0 0

### MKB (Jul 2008): mount new partition for Debian chroot
/dev/VolGroup00/debian          /debian_chroot          ext3    defaults
1 2