Re: using debootstrap to install Debian

El vie, 04-07-2008 a las 17:24 +0200, Shawn Beasley escribió:
> michael wrote:
> > I was following the instructions on, eg Debian_Admin, to attempt an
> > installation of Debian on a Fedora box (that didn't like the netinst
> > CD). I have got as far as installing a chroot in /debian_chroot but
> > cannot work out the final steps needed to be able to boot into the
> > Debian installation. Could some kind soul help me out? Thanks, M
>
> Boot from UbuntuLive or the like (must have a grub boot loader), mount
> your hard drive and copy the  initrd.gz  vmlinuz to /root. (found in
> install.i386)

OP is not using/installing ubuntu, he's installing debian and using
fedora. I don't see where ubuntu fits.
/vmlinuz and /initrd are links to files in /boot, which are installed by
the kernel package (actually, the initrd is created, not installed).

OP:
You should chroot in /debian_chroot and run 'aptitude install
linux-image-architecture'.
If debootstrap didn't already, also install grub (or lilo if you prefer
it). Edit fstab (don't forget about /proc) and exit the chroot.
Then, if you have grub in the fedora system, run 'grub-install
--root-directory=/debian_chroot /dev/device' and
edit /debian_chroot/boot/grub/device.map if necessary.
Re-enter the chroot and run update-grub.

Then make the bios boot from that device, however you do it, and there
you go.

--
Gabriel Parrondo
GNU/Linux User #404138

"The only difference between theory and practice is that, in theory,
there's no difference between theory and practice."