Re: CUPS vs lpd (was Re: Giving up on Iceweasel 3.0)

* Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> [2008 Jul 06 18:19 -0500]:

> So, I *can* and *do* unequivocally affirm that *using* CUPS is an
> simple as rolling off a log.

I concur.  So long as a PPD file is available for a given printer, CUPS
has worked like a hose for me.

I fought printcaps and filters for years with an old IBM 4039-10R laser
that didn't have enough memory for handling PS natively.  Installing
CUPS and setting it up through its web page interface along with the
Gimpprint drivers gave me a print quality I douldn't get before.  I'm
running Sid and update frequently and so far CUPS has not been fragile
through all of those updates.

- Nate >>