Re: DigiVox A/D TV-Tuner issue

On Sunday 06 July 2008 10:53, Anas Husseini wrote:
> Hi again Nigel,
>
> Thank you for the tutorial. Actually I made a deep search in google before
> and that's one of the tutorials I've found then. Most of these tutorials I
> found contain essentially the same steps, so I applied them (compiling the
> v4l-dvb-kernel, downloading the corresponding firmware, modeprobing the
> modules, etc). However, there is one thing I failed to do, that is
> obtaining the v4l-dvb-kernel through the mercurial command (hg clone)
> because I always get a HTTP 503 error when I try to access that website  (
> http://mcentral.de). Thus, I managed to download the a package called
> v4l-dvb from linuxtv.org and compiled it successfully. I don't know if that
> is an enough substitute to the mercurial command. Perhaps it is one cause
> of this issue.
>
> I appreciate your kindness in proposing that you buy the tv-tuner and try
> it yourself. I don't know wether it is available in France (actually its
> price is about 30 to 40 USD), but I don't want you to take the trouble. I
> am trying now other packages from linuxtv.org (those related to v4l or
> em28xx) hoping that I may find a beam of light in them. I will try also the
> tv-tuner on another PC that has USB 2.0 support.
>
> Thanks again for your continuous help.
>
> - Anas

Hi Again Anas. The card isn't going to work on your laptop with only USB1.1
available. The page below gives some info about USB standards.
http://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/DVB_via_USB

When I was looking to see the price of these cards in France, the specs on one
site simply mentioned that the card was a USB one, and none specific about
the USB version required, but the MSI site for the DigiVOX A/D 11
specifically mentions that USB2 is required.

According to another page I read, even if your laptop had a USB2 controller,
the 2.6.18 kernel on Etch is not late enough (is missing some of the
necessary drivers/modules), and it was suggested to install the latest kernel
from the backports repo. I only say this because, if your other PC that has
USB2.0 available, and you only have Etch installed with a 2.6.18 kernel, you
will still have problems, unless you install a later kernel. I've found the
page,as below.
http://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/How_to_install_DVB_device_drivers

I think that you've already been on this page, as you mentioned problems with
mercurial, and installing Linux TV drivers.

All the best.

Nigel.