Re: Lenny

On Fri, Jul 04, 2008 at 07:24:40AM +0200, Daniel Ngu wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I read that Lenny will be released sometime in September this year.
> I've been using Etch and am contemplating on moving to Lenny now instead.

There are some issues:

First off:
If you have a nvidia graphics card:
The nvidia-drivers haven't migrated to testing yet so if you play
tuxracer or gaze into the heavens with stellarium then you may want to
wait. See:

http://http.download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/169.12/README/appendix-a.html

or

http://http.download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/1.0-8776/README/appendix-a.html

to see what driver version supports your card. The names have changed
since Etch. For example, the 1.0-8776 driver was the one which supported
the MX400 graphics card, but it is now the 96.43.xx driver which
supports it - but is not yet in testing.

Secondly:

If you are ok with dealing with that then I'd say go for it.

> How's usable is Lenny at the moment, in particular the Beta2 version
> or should I wait till later.

Hey, what's this Beta2 version business. You're not referring to the
Installer are you? You only need to install Debian once. To go from Etch
to Lenny is a simple edit of the /etc/apt/sources.lst and then use your
favourite package manager to update upgrade/dist-upgrade.

If you are running Testing/Lenny then you are basically acting as a
guinea pig so learn to use http://bugs.debian.org/

--
Chris.
======