Linksys Router

Hi all,

A while ago I got a Linksys wrt54g router.  I was going to put it into place,
then I noticed that the soft/firm-ware on it is open source linux based.
After a bried search, I discovered that "openwrt" (also X-Wrt) is a
replacement  on the net for the default linksys software in the router.

Why would I want to replace the software in the router with openwrt/X-Wrt?
What shortcomings in the router software are overcome with openwrt/X-Wrt?
If I have the need to replace the software, is openwrt/X-Wrt the best
replacement to use?

Thanks for any info,

Mark