Re: Linux-image-2.6.25 won't boot - target filesystem error

On 30 Jun 2008, Daniel Dalton wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 30, 2008 at 10:14:02AM +0100, Anthony Campbell wrote:
>
> > I just installed linux-image-2.6.25-2 from Sid. Boot fails with a
> > mwwage:
> >
> > "target filesystem doesn't have bootarg"
> >
> > This is followed by:
> > "/bin/sh: can't access tty; job control turned off"
> >

> Mine works here, but was there any errors with dpkg when installing?
> Also, did you get the right one for your computer? Eg. x86 for x86
> machines.
>
> > I also found a Debian recommendation to modify /etc/fstab in order to
> > get the file systems recognized, but I'm reluctant to do so for fear of
> > losing the ability to boot any kernel at all.
>
> err... just get a rescue cd, if it won't boot, put it in the cd drive,
> boot it mount your linux partition open
> /mntp/to/linux/partition/etc/fstab
> And remove those lines, reboot back into your linux 2.6.23 kernel...

No error messages. I do get:
	aetting up linux-image-2.6.25-2-amd64 (2.6.25-6) ...
	Running depmod.
	Finding valid ramdisk creators.
	Using mkinitramfs-kpkg to build the ramdisk.
	Other valid candidates: mkinitramfs-kpkg mkinitrd.yaird

The kernel is correct; I'm currently using linux-image-2.6.23-amd64.

I take the point about using a rescue disk but I'm not sure of what to
try for /etc/fstab. I know that a fresh installation of linux uses
different syntax but I don't remember what it is or how it works.
Currently I have:

	/dev/hdb10      /               ext3    errors=remount-ro       0       1
/dev/hda5       none            swap    sw                      0       0
proc            /proc           proc    defaults                0       0
# none          /proc/bus/usb/  usbdevfs user,noauto               0       0
none /proc/bus/usb usbfs defaults                               0     0
/dev/fd0        /media/floppy   auto    user,noauto,rw          0       0
/dev/hdc        /media/cdrom    iso9660 ro,user,noauto,unhide   0       0
/dev/hdb6       none            swap    sw                      0       0
/dev/hdb7       /usr/local      ext3    defaults                0       2
/dev/hdb8       /home           ext3    defaults                0       2
/dev/hda1        /backup        ext3     user,defaults            0      2
~
~

Anthony

--