Re: Linux-image-2.6.25 won't boot - target filesystem error

On Mon, Jun 30, 2008 at 10:50:03 +0100, Anthony Campbell wrote:
> On 30 Jun 2008, Daniel Dalton wrote:
> > On Mon, Jun 30, 2008 at 10:14:02AM +0100, Anthony Campbell wrote:
> >
> > > I just installed linux-image-2.6.25-2 from Sid. Boot fails with a
> > > mwwage:
> > >
> > > "target filesystem doesn't have bootarg"
> > >
> > > This is followed by:
> > > "/bin/sh: can't access tty; job control turned off"

[...]

> The kernel is correct; I'm currently using linux-image-2.6.23-amd64.
>
> I take the point about using a rescue disk but I'm not sure of what to
> try for /etc/fstab. I know that a fresh installation of linux uses
> different syntax but I don't remember what it is or how it works.
> Currently I have:
>
> 	/dev/hdb10      /               ext3    errors=remount-ro       0       1
> /dev/hda5       none            swap    sw                      0       0
> proc            /proc           proc    defaults                0       0
> # none          /proc/bus/usb/  usbdevfs user,noauto               0       0
> none /proc/bus/usb usbfs defaults                               0     0
> /dev/fd0        /media/floppy   auto    user,noauto,rw          0       0
> /dev/hdc        /media/cdrom    iso9660 ro,user,noauto,unhide   0       0
> /dev/hdb6       none            swap    sw                      0       0
> /dev/hdb7       /usr/local      ext3    defaults                0       2
> /dev/hdb8       /home           ext3    defaults                0       2
> /dev/hda1        /backup        ext3     user,defaults            0      2

You can use UUIDs or labels to refer to the partitions. This is
robust if a newer kernel changes the device nodes (e.g. from /dev/hda to
/dev/sda). You can use the "blkid" utility to find out the UUIDs of your
partitions, or you can set your own labels with e2label (and mkswap -L
for the swap partition).

To give you an example, I labeled my root partition "root" and this is
the corresponding fstab entry:

LABEL=root       /               ext3    defaults,errors=remount-ro 0       1

If you want to use UUIDs then the syntax is "UUID=....".

You can try this with only your "backup" partition first to see if it
works, i.e. if the 2.6.23 kernel mounts it correctly if the fstab entry
refers to the label or UUID instead of /dev/hda1.

The corresponding syntax for /boot/grub/menu.lst is

# kopt=root=LABEL=root ro

(plus other boot options that you might want to pass to the kernel)

I would first try to switch to labels or UUIDs completely (including
root) with 2.6.23. If you subsequently run into a problem with 2.6.25
then you may have to boot into 2.6.23 once more and change every
reference in /boot/grub/device.map from /dev/hdX to /dev/sdX.

(I have no idea how this works with LILO.)

          Florian   |