Linux-image-2.6.25 won't boot - target filesystem error

I just installed linux-image-2.6.25-2 from Sid. Boot fails with a
mwwage:

"target filesystem doesn't have bootarg"

This is followed by:
"/bin/sh: can't access tty; job control turned off"

2.6.23 still boots normally.

Google shows a number of people with similar problems, mainly on Ubuntu.
I also found a Debian recommendation to modify /etc/fstab in order to
get the file systems recognized, but I'm reluctant to do so for fear of
losing the ability to boot any kernel at all.

Any ideas about this one?

--
Anthony Campbell - ac@acampbell.org.uk
and sceptical articles)