Re: CUPS and Device Permissions

Nathaniel Homier wrote:
Is the printer known to work in Debian?

Not directly, but it's a Canon IP4200, which has Linux drivers (abet RPMs which
I've found repackaged (old) by a kind Japanese fellow, though I'm just
using the Canon RPMs and alien for the time being). Few niggles aside, seems to
work.

What are you using to configure the printer, the gnome-printer menu item or 127.0.0.1:631.

I started off using KDE's printer section in "Control Center", but that was/is a
bit flaky. I eventually got the printer added though. I find job
manipulation and sending test jobs works best from localhost:631 though.

Try to avoid using the gnome-printer-config because it is very buggy. Open up 127.0.0.1:631 and go to admin and add printer and it will walk you through a little wizard. When all is done it will ask for your username and password that you use for logging onto the computer, don't use root. If this don't work then add the user that your parents will be to lpadmin. How I did it was to go to gnome-user-groups menu item and select group tab>lpadmin>properties button>select my name and click add. Now that you added the user try 127.0.0.1:631 again and it should accept your username and
password. assuming the printer works in the first place under Linux.

I have everyone in lpadmin and lp for testing, and they al seem to be able to
use the localhost:632 tools, but I'll have another look at your steps to see if
anything else happens when you follow them, thanks for your help!

 - Jamie