CUPS and Device Permissions

Hey.

I've been trying to get the printer working on my parent's PC, which is now actually using their Debian install now that their XP install has died and I'm in no hurry to reinstall it. ;)

Interesting issue though, namely, the printer device and cups.

Basically, I have cups using the default users and groups, namely "lp" and "lpadmin". The groups are all populated (over -populated for my testing, actually, but I digress), but it just doesn't work. The permissions on the device "/dev/usb/lp0" are the default "crw-rw---- root:lp", but even though I've dumped everyone I can think of into the "lp" group, it doesn't work unless I either give ownership to the "lp" user, or give everyone rw rights. The group side of things just doesn't seem to work at all. I've looked at the processes when printing, and AFAIK they seem correct ( daemon as "root", children as "lp").

I've just modified the udev rule to set the user as "lp" to let them print, but I'd like to figure out why it's not working as expected. Any ideas?