Re: Open Source Video Codec and Container (alternative to Xvid)

Simon Jolle sjolle:

> It means AVI is the best choice for out-of-the-box playing on all
> platforms and devices?

AVI is only a container for audio and video content. It can contain
video encoded in many formats (MPEG2, MPEG4, H.264 etc). Just because a
player knows the container format doesn't mean it can decode the
content.

BTW, AVI is obsolete. MP4 (a container format defined in the MPEG4
standard) appears to become the new standard.

So what you're aiming for is to find the right combination of container,
video codec and audio codec. My suggestion would be to use H.264 video
and AAC audio in an MP4 container. If you choose the right settings,
these files should be playable on video iPods and PS3s (and any computer
with current software).

>> BTW, I convert FLV to AVI with this command line:
>>
>> 	ffmpeg -i filename.flv -sameq filename.avi

This converts to MPEG4 (ffmpeg's default choice, at least on my system)
in an AVI container which is a bad combination:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AVI#Continued_use

J.
--
I cannot comprehend the idea of chemical and biological weapons.
[Agree]   [Disagree]