Re: Debian Server hostname and Win 2003 DNS server

Hi and thanks all.

> Ahhh, the Socrates method, my fav form of instruction.
>
> Mirco, as Ron is hinting at and as I said (see the "first idea" I had) run a
> DNS server.  DNS came about because sys admin became to in shape and
> physically dangerous to there managers from all the running around they had
> to do to keep the hosts files in sync.  Edit the DNS entry, all machines pick
> up the new data:  IT works stay soft and flabby, chicks don't dig them, they
> stay motivated to stay at the office, managers can continue to push IT sys
> admin around with out threat of physical harm.  Everybody is happy.

Maybe i miss an important information (or not? ...it's in subject).
There's a Win 2003 DNS Server.
My problem  is that all the clients can ping them self using hostname,
and they can ping all other windows server in the same way, but not
those 2 Debian server.

Chris understand well my situation.
So i try his suggest:
# apt-get install dnsutils
# touch /etc/nsupdate.conf

edit that file in this way:

update delete HostName.DomainName.com. A
update add HostName.DomainName.com. 86400 A 192.168.1.1
show
send
quit

(where HostName.DomainName.com is my Debian fqdn, and 192.168.1.1 my
Debian ip address).
Then run the following command:
# nsupdate -v /etc/nsupdate.conf

Here you are my output:

Outgoing update query:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: UPDATE, status: NOERROR, id:      0
;; flags: ; ZONE: 0, PREREQ: 0, UPDATE: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0
;; UPDATE SECTION:
HostName.DomainName.com.  0       ANY     A
HostName.DomainName.com.  86400   IN      A       192.168.1.1

couldn't get address for 'DNSHostName.DomainName.com': not found

If i try to ping DNSHostName.DomainName.com, my debian machine resolve
the record.
Any other suggest?

Regards!