Trouble adding SATA HDDs to Etch box (ProLiant ML110 G4) that boots from USB flash drive

Dear all,

I have a Hewlett Packard ProLiant ML110 G4 running Etch that currently has no HDDs, just a 4GB USB flash drive on which Etch is installed. It boots fine, and I have no problems with it. However, I want to add four 500GB SATA HDDs to the box; my intention is to make these RAID 5 and use the machine as a file server.*

So I've now connected the HDDs to the motherboard, and now the boot process won't complete. It halts for some time at a line that reads:

sd 2:0:0:0: Attached SCSI removable disk sde

and then it prints the following lines:

Done.
        Check root= bootarg cat /proc/cmdline
        or missing modules, devices: cat /proc/modules ls /dev
Alert! /dev/sda1 does not exist. Dropping to a shell!

BusyBox v.1.13 (Debian 1:1.13-4) Built-in shell (ash)
Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.

/bin/sh: can't access tty; job control turned off
(initramfs)

Does anyone know how I ought to overcome this?

Many thanks,

Sam

*N.B. I'm keeping the OS on the flash drive so that the HDDs needn't spin up unless they are being written to or read from, hopefully reducing noise output and power consumption.