Re: NOT ABLE TO INSTALL DEBIAN 4.0r3

On Saturday 21 June 2008 10:50, Praseen Preman wrote:
> Hi guys,
>            I am an ardent fan of Debian after I saw it running on one
> of my friends machines. I have been trying to install it for a few
> months but without success . I am a newbie as far as Debian is
> concerned. I have worked on Fedora Linux but it seems Debian is harder
> to tame hence all the more fun. Here are the tech details.
>
> My Machine configuration is given below
>
> Intel Pentium Dual Core CPU 2.80 GHz
> 256 MB RAM
> Seagate 40GB hard disk
> Intel original Chipset motherboard
> NVIDIA GeForce 6200 TurboCache(TM)
> ST380211AS SATA hard disk (seagate)
> SAMSUNG 52X CD RW+DVD drive
>
> I wrote 3 CD iso images of the Debian 4.0r3 into 3 CDs and tried to
> install on my system,
> the following are the system logs.
>
> ata1: SATA link up 1.5Gbps (Status 113 Scontrol)
> ata1.00:qc timeout (cmd 0xef)
> ata1.00:failed to set xfermode (err_mask=0x4)
> hdb:SAMSUNG CDRW/DVD SM-352F,ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM DRIVE
> ide0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7,0x3f6 on irq14
> hdb:lost interrupt
> hdb:ATAPI 52 X DVD-ROM........

  Looks like the kernel can't see the hard drives.

  I had a similar issue with a DG33BU motherboard, the
G33 chipset apparently has some new bells and whistles.

  My workaround was to go into the BIOS and set the
hard-drive access mode to "ide" (might be called "legacy"),
and then boot with the "pci=nommconf" kernel option.

  This isn't really a Debian-specific problem, it's due
to the devices being newer than the kernel support.

 				-- A.
--
Andrew Reid / reidac@bellatlantic.net