Re: NOT ABLE TO INSTALL DEBIAN 4.0r3

Praseen Preman wrote:
Hi guys,
           I am an ardent fan of Debian after I saw it running on one
of my friends machines. I have been trying to install it for a few
months but without success . I am a newbie as far as Debian is
concerned. I have worked on Fedora Linux but it seems Debian is harder
to tame hence all the more fun. Here are the tech details.

I wrote 3 CD iso images of the Debian 4.0r3 into 3 CDs and tried to
install on my system,
the following are the system logs.

As others have written, your chipset/disk i/o hardware is likely not perfectly understood by the kernel drivers, and a workaround may be a more recent kernel or installer, a BIOS tweak, and/or some kernel parameters at boot time.

What concerns me is you say you burned 3 CD iso's. Do you actually have the first three CD iso's, or are they actually the DVD iso's? This may be a dumb question, but since Etch is a three DVD set, I wondered. If you tried writing DVD-sized iso's to CDs, a lot of things wouldn't fit, obviously.

Etch (Debian 4.0) is a bit dated, now, you might want to get the testing distribution, code-named lenny, instead, which is quite usable. It may be better able to handle your hardware during install. It has a more recent kernel, and more recent versions of everything, else, too. The whole shebang requires five DVDs, or sometimes four DVDs and a CD, but you only need the first DVD to install lenny.

Mark Allums