Re: NOT ABLE TO INSTALL DEBIAN 4.0r3

On Sat, Jun 21, 2008 at 4:50 PM, Praseen Preman
<praseen.preman@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi guys,
>           I am an ardent fan of Debian after I saw it running on one
> of my friends machines. I have been trying to install it for a few
> months but without success . I am a newbie as far as Debian is
> concerned. I have worked on Fedora Linux but it seems Debian is harder
> to tame hence all the more fun. Here are the tech details.
>
> My Machine configuration is given below
>
> Intel Pentium Dual Core CPU 2.80 GHz
> 256 MB RAM
> Seagate 40GB hard disk
> Intel original Chipset motherboard
> NVIDIA GeForce 6200 TurboCache(TM)
> ST380211AS SATA hard disk (seagate)
> SAMSUNG 52X CD RW+DVD drive
>
> I wrote 3 CD iso images of the Debian 4.0r3 into 3 CDs and tried to
> install on my system,
> the following are the system logs.
>
> ata1: SATA link up 1.5Gbps (Status 113 Scontrol)
> ata1.00:qc timeout (cmd 0xef)
> ata1.00:failed to set xfermode (err_mask=0x4)
> hdb:SAMSUNG CDRW/DVD SM-352F,ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM DRIVE
> ide0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7,0x3f6 on irq14
> hdb:lost interrupt
> hdb:ATAPI 52 X DVD-ROM........
>
> Uniform CD-ROM driver revision:3.20
>
> Begin: Mounting root file system.......
> Begin: ....... /scripts/local-top ....
> Begin: Waiting for root filesystem
> hdb : lost interrupt
> ide-cd : cmd 0x3 timed out
> hdb: lost interrupt
>
> Check root = bootargs cat /proc/cmdline or missing modules, devices :
> cat /proc/modules
> ls /dev .................... /dev/sda3 does not exist
> Busy Box comes up then goes down in a while

Sounds like the CD installers are struggling to detect your
harddrives. Might be due to your hardware (motherboard) being too new
to work correctly with the linux kernel (2.6.18) that ships with
Debian Etch.

Try using an installer for Debian Testing (Lenny) or Debian Unstable
(Sid) instead.

David.